Today, virtually everyone should be evaluating some type of “Plan B” business that can be started without a large investment and built over time. This just makes good business sense given the times we are living in.
We work with individuals from all age groups and social economic backgrounds. One person maybe be a college student that would like a few hundred extra dollars per month to help out with expenses. Another person may be a middle class worker that wants to have a more secure income in case they get “downsized”. Or someone may be nearing retirement and an extra $500, $1000 or $2,000 per month would really help them in their retirement plan.
Whatever your reasoning for a plan B business be sure to follow the right steps in order to find the right home business and get started right.
Here are some steps for getting your Plan B started –
- Do your research carefully and choose a business that fits you.
- Don’t get caught up in hype and slick marketing.
- Know that it is a 2-5 year business plan.
- You aren’t going to get rich and quit your job overnight.
- Have a long term vision for success and the patience to see the job through.
Let’s look at these one at a time.
1. Do your research carefully and choose a business that fits you. Spend some time evaluating your likes and interests. That old saying – “Do what you love and the money will follow” is very sound advice. When you involve yourself in a business you enjoy, you are much more likely to stick with it.
When evaluating a Network Marketing Business, here is my checklist.
- How long has the company been in business (I generally stay away from companies less than 5 years old)
- How hard / easy is it to build a long term sustainable business?
- Can you make money via retail? (this is important for upfront commissions)
- Do you know, like and trust your sponsor? Maybe interview several
- What type of events and training does your company offer. Having multiple training events is a good idea
2. Don’t get caught up in hype and slick marketing. This can be a big challenge, especially when you are researching online. Marketing messages are written to be persuasive and everything sounds great, and the next one sounds even better, right? Educate yourself and be sure you understand exactly what it’s going to take to make a successful business for yourself from the business you choose. Look beyond the hype; talk to people and make a sound business decision.
3. Understand that just like any business, it’s typically a 2 to 5 year plan to achieve the success you desire. Get rich quick has no place here and won’t ever last. If it were that easy, everyone would be involved. Develop a business plan and be willing to be coached by those who are successful already. Understand that there will be some challenges and times you’ll feel like quitting. Make a commitment to always wait until the next day to quit. Sleep on it and see how you feel the next day.
Finally, have a long term vision for success. Develop a dream book or board that spells out exactly what you are looking for. Set some timelines to achieving some of those goals and work steadily toward accomplishing that. Work in 90 day cycles for success. This will give you the ability to do a fair analysis of what is working.
Build it now, before you need it and create the security that comes from knowing you always have a cushion to fall back on.
Remember when getting started, it will take you a certain amount of time before you are competent with the products and the marketing. Be sure to talk with your sponsor on ways to learn fast so you can start making a profit right away.
Don’t wait for your sponsor to call you!
Here is to your success!